Maintenance of Building Systems/Physical Plant (75 course hours)
This comprehensive 25-session course is designed to explore the building structure and the physical
systems of residential dwellings. Participants will:
- Expand their knowledge of physical systems;
- Learn the latest techniques & methods for making basic repairs;
- Learn to maintain, assess physical systems of their buildings;
- Learn how to troubleshoot; and
- Improve their earning potential by receiving a Superintendent Certification
upon successful completion of the course.
The following are some of the topics that are discussed in this course:
- Electrical and plumbing and heating systems;
- Housing codes;
- Maintenance issues; and
- Lead paint regulations: remediation, abatement and lead safe work practices.
This course is designed for people who are owners and/or managers of multi-family
residential properties, potential owners/managers or housing professionals.
In order to obtain a Certificate in Advanced Building Maintenance, participants
are required to have completed the following additional courses/seminars: Water & Energy Conservation, Heat & Hot
Water, Safe-Work Practices and Environmental Health for Owners/Managers, As of September,2004, participants will also be required
to take the Right to Know course.
This course is offered several times a year, two evenings a week from 6:00 p.m. to
9:00 p.m., at 100 Gold Street. (Manhattan). To register, please call (212) 863-8830 to obtain an application form or you can
register on-line at www.nyc.gov/hpd